Did you know the fruit we know and love as Cantaloupe is actually Muskmelon?!
Cantaloupes are part of the cucurbitaceae family of plants along with cucumbers, pumpkins, squashes and a very long list of melons 🙂
Cantaloupe contains Vitamins C, A, K, B1, B3, B6 along with Folate, Magnesium, Potassium and Fiber. Gives your immune systems a boost and promotes cardiovascular health.
The low calorie count along with the high fiber content can help you with your weight loss journey. Fiber rich foods help you feel fuller longer and are digested slowly by your body.
Cantaloupe also contains a small amount of Omega-3 fatty acid. Cantaloupe contains both carotenoids…beta carotene and alpha carotene…that provide antioxidant and anti inflammatory benefits! Lutein and zeaxanthin are carotenoids that help your eyes function properly.
The high water content in Cantaloupe along with Vitamins K and E help keep your skin replenished, rejuvenated and hydrated from within.
Cantaloupe is low in calories….contains no fat or cholesterol and has a high level of Vitamin B complex.
Not sure how to buy the perfect Cantaloupe? Neither was I..until now 😉
- A ripe melon will feel heavy…almost full when you pick it up.
- Give it a tap….does it make a dull..deep sound? Perfect!! If it sounds hollow….it’s not ripe yet.
- Give the belly button a slight press with your thumb ( where it was attached to the vine ) it should give just a little. If it feels mushy..it’s over ripe.
- The outer appearance of the rind should be cream / tan / yellow. If the rind is green…not ripe yet.
- Sometimes you can sniff the opposite “bottom” of the belly button and you’ll slightly smell the wonderful scent of Cantaloupe.
Next time you’re in the mood for something sweet…juicy…low in calories and delicious…grab some Cantaloupe!!! 🙂
For more info…follow the link below….