Sore Throat Remedies
A Sore Throat no matter what the cause can leave you feeling pretty lousy.
You can’t swallow…talk…or get comfortable 🙁
Most of us don’t stock up on over the counter remedies to keep in the house just in case we need them and at this point you just want to curl up on the couch in your pj’s….not go to a store!
You may have some of these home remedy ingredients in your pantry or refrigerator and many can provide you with the relief you seek along with amazing healing powers. 😀
- Salt Water – Gargling with warm, salt water probably sounds like the last thing you want to do when your throat is sore..but it is the best thing you can do!! Salt water helps reduce the swelling of the membranes in your throat and help reduce inflammation. Use warm..not hot water…about 8 oz. and add 1/2 tsp of Salt. Stir until salt is dissolved and gargle for a few minutes. You should gargle 3 times a day until your throat feels better.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – I know you’re turning up your nose and saying “yuck” but just like Salt…Apple Cider Vinegar has healing powers. The high acidity level can help kill the bacteria that is lurking in your throat. Use 8oz warm water and 2 tbsp of Apple Cider Vinegar. and gargle away!!
- Licorice Root – Licorice root has anti viral & anti inflammatory properties. You can buy tea that contains licorice root..brew up a cup…and some honey…ahhhh…it really helps soothe your throat.
- Cloves – Cloves contain Eugenol which is a natural pain killer along with containing antibacterial properties. This also may not be too appealing…but it does help ease throat pain. Chew on a whole clove..kind of like you were chewing a piece of gum. DON’T swallow the clove!! Remove from your mouth after a few minutes and drink some water or tea to avoid irritation.
- Sage – Every time I think of sage…I think of Thanksgiving and stuffing…Sage is an amazing herb!! Sage acts as an astringent..just like Salt to help reduce the swelling in your throat. It also has antibacterial properties to help get rid of the nasty bacterial lurking in your throat. If you also add some salt…you can get the benefit of both! Add 8 oz of boiling water to a cup of 2 tsp of dry sage or 2 or 3 fresh sage leaves along with 1 tsp of salt. Let it seep like you would tea. Remove the sage and gargle.
- Honey – Honey is always the “go to” when you have a sore throat. Honey has antioxidant & antibacterial properties and is so soothing to your sore throat. Add some to a cup of tea or just take a spoonful 😉
- Ginger – Ginger is a natural pain killer and also contains antibacterial / anti fungal properties. Just what you need to heal that sore throat!! Brew a cup of ginger tea with a little honey…ahhh…soo good!! Use about 6 cups of water and about 4 slices of fresh ginger root. Simmer for 10 minutes or so. Let cool slightly then add 3 or 4 tbsp of honey.
- Whiskey / Brandy – Bring on the hot toddy!! I like to make a soothing cup of Throat Coat Tea with some honey and a splash of Brandy in the evening if I’m not feeling well. Soothes my throat and helps me sleep.
Keep away from cold liquids when your throat is sore even if a glass of ice water sounds wonderful. Cold will cause your throat to contract and cause you more pain and discomfort.
Warm is best and much more soothing!!
Hope one of these remedies help you feel better soon 😀