Nuts for Nuts….
Nuts are underrated as as a healthy snack. You may shy away from a handful of nuts because of the calories and fat content. A handful of nuts are full of protein, fiber, unsaturated fats and lots of vitamins and minerals. Raw nuts have been linked to lower cholesterol, heart health and weight control and even relaxation.
Here’s a breakdown of some of the benefits of a few of your favorite nuts….
- Walnuts – Walnuts contain the most antioxidants of any nut! They are the richest in Omega3 fatty acids which help fight inflammation…helpful to those of you with Arthritis or RA. The manganese contained in Walnuts may reduce PMS symptoms.
- Almonds – Almonds contain the most fiber of any nut! Also rich in Vitamin E a powerful antioxidant. Studies have shown that Almonds can help with weight loss and reducing LDL..bad… cholesterol
- Cashews – Cashews are rich in iron and zinc. Iron helps deliver oxygen to your cells which can prevent anemia. Zinc is crucial for a healthy immune system and healthy vision. Cashews are a good source of magnesium which can improve memory and keep you calm. It’s been said that cashews can provide the same sense of calm as a prozac.
- Pecans – Pecans are rich in antioxidants that can improve heart health. They have been proven to reduce plaque in your arteries and lower LDL cholesterol.
- Pistachios – Pistachios are the lowest calorie nut!! Less than 4 calories per nut! Pistachios are rich in the antioxidant Gamma-tocopherol..a form of cancer fighting vitamin E. They are also jam packed with potassium and vitamin B6. Potassium assists with your muscles and keeping your nervous system healthy. Vitamin B6 gives your immune system a boost. They’re also good if you’re looking for something to eat slowly..the shells slow you down!
- Macadamia Nuts – Macadamia are the nuts with the most calories!! They also contain the greatest amount of heart healthy monounsaturated fat per serving or MUFA. This good fat lowers LDL cholesterol, triglycerides and blood pressure.
- Brazil Nuts – Packed to the max with Selenium!! This mineral can help prevent certain cancers…but a high level of selenium can be harmful…so use moderation when eating Brazil nuts!!
- Hazel Nuts – High in MUFA and Vitamin E…which can improve heart health, help manage type 2 diabetes and keep your skin healthy.
So next time you’re looking for a healthy snack..grab a handful of raw nuts!!! Unsalted please 🙂
For more…follow the link below…