Natural Insect Repellent
During the warm weather we spend as much time outside as we can. All we want is to enjoy the day and not wind up eaten by mosquitoes!!!
In years gone by..OFF was my best friend….now I’m older …wiser…and prefer not to spray and slather myself with chemicals and smell so nasty that along with the bugs…no one else will come near me. 🙁
So off I went in search of natural alternatives…and I found quite a few that are incredibly easy to make!
Essential Oils are the active ingredients in every homemade repellant I found. You’ll need a decent amount for 8 oz. of repellent…about 40-50 drops in total. If you choose to use several different oils…it will be a few of each. The wonderful thing about essential oils is that you can find what works best for you and what scent you prefer 😉
These Oils work the best in keeping away those pests…
- Eucalyptus…I like Lemon Eucalyptus 🙂
- Lemon Grass
If you want to use a Spray….reapply every 2 to 4 hours….
- Essential Oils don’t mix well with water…so you’ll need to use Witch Hazel or Rubbing Alcohol as your base.
- Add 4 oz. Witch Hazel…4 oz. Water…40 to 50 drops of Essential Oil of your choosing to a spray bottle. Shake and Spray 🙂
If you prefer to use a Cream…
- You can add 10-20 drops of Lemon Eucalyptus Oil to your favorite bottle of moisturizer….or…..
- You can use 8 oz Coconut Oil as a base..add in 40-50 drops of essential oil…stir…store in a covered jar. Rub on your wrists, behind your knees anywhere you think those little buggers will bite. A dab goes along way…no need to slather yourself up.
If you prefer to buy something natural and not make your own….I recommend Lemon Eucalyptus…it smells heavenly…
For more info….follow the link below…