Is It Hot In Here?!
If you’ve had one…you can relate…there’s no mistaking the sudden intense feeling like you’re being microwaved…dripping sweat like a melting popsicle on a hot day…you just want to rip off your clothes and jump into ice water!! Then…as quickly as it arrived..its gone 🙁
Hot Flashes…another wonderful part of being a woman. If you’ve experienced a hot flash you know there are no words that can adequately describe it to someone. Men can’t comprehend what is going on as you’re jumping in and out of bed at night…sweating one minute and freezing the next. How many times can you change your pjs in one night?! UGH….
I had a Hysterectomy many years ago and was thrown instantly into this nightmare. 🙁
I found some info to help you understand what is going on and some diet changes that may help.
Hot flashes are mostly caused by hormonal changes that occur as menopause approaches. You may also find that lifestyle,medication or illness can also be contributing factors. A decrease in your Estrogen level has a direct effect on the Hypothalamus…the part of your brain responsible for controlling your appetite, sex hormones, sleep cycle, and…yep…your body temperature. A drop in Estrogen confuses the Hypothalamus into thinking its too hot in here!! Your brain sends out an all out alert to your heart and nervous system. You feel feverish and begin to sweat….which is your body’s way of cooling you down.
There are also triggers that can lead to hot flashes being more frequent…avoid these if at all possible 😉
- Excessive Alcohol
- Spicy Foods
- Tight Clothing
- Hot Weather…Hot Showers…Hot Tubs…Saunas
- Diet Pills
Here are a few things that may help….
- Stress Reduction
- Diet Changes
- Chill Pillow
- Go to the Freezer 🙂 At the first sign a hot flash is on its way…open the freezer door and let the intense chill lend a hand 🙂
There are some dietary changes that can also help….
- Omega 3 Fatty Acids – Omega 3 have proven beneficial in heading off hot flashes.
- Garlic – Beside boosting your immune system and heart health..garlic has been shown to keep hot flashes at bay.
- Red Wine – I know alcohol is on the no-no list..but red wine slows down the process of estrogen leaving your body. One glass a week will do the trick!!
- Bell Peppers – Bell Peppers are high in Vitamin C which is known for its anti inflammatory and hormone stabilizing properties. They also help maintain blood sugar levels which can also reduce the frequency of your hot flashes. Yellow peppers contain the most Vitamin C.
- Strawberries – These juicy red jewels pack a punch in fighting those hot flashes. They are high in Phytoestrogens that keep hormone levels balanced. Strawberries are also chock full of Vitamin C.
- Pineapple & Melons – Munching on cool melon or juicy Pineapple will help cool you down. They are also packed with Vitamin C.
- Soy – Foods containing soy…like Edamame…
- Salad Greens – A delicious salad provides you with iron, folic acid, calcium and promote healthy blood sugar levels and antioxidants.
***As always…you should consult your healthcare professional or nutritionist before beginning any vitamin or medication.***
For more info…follow the link below…