How Important is Breakfast ?
Your Mom was right..Breakfast really is the most important meal of the day! 🙂
Not only does it give you energy to start a new day, but breakfast is linked to many health benefits. There are a few reasons people don’t like to eat breakfast in the morning like not feeling hungry or trying to limit calories. A healthy breakfast can improve your concentration, give you endurance for the day ahead and help lower your cholesterol.
What’s your typical breakfast? A cup of coffee? A quick bowl of oatmeal? A protein packed smoothie?
Eating something for breakfast is better than eating nothing at all. It’s doesn’t have to be a huge breakfast that will leave you feeling lethargic. It can be as simple as a fruit smoothie or a bowl of oatmeal topped with fresh berries. A healthy breakfast will invigorate your body and give you the energy to get through the day.
Breakfast should contain:
- Lean Protein – Protein is important to get your body going 🙂 Add some Peanut Butter or a hard boiled Egg!!
- Dairy – If dairy is an option for you…low fat is the way to go!! Milk…Cheese..Yogurt are a few great choices.
- Fruits & Vegetables – Fresh or Frozen fruits and vegetables are great to add into smoothies or cereal!!
- Whole Grains – Look for whole grain options when buying cereals…bagels and muffins 🙂
Sounds like too much work and time to eat healthy? It’s really isn’t! Here’s some great choices:
- A whole grain Waffle with a smear of peanut butter
- Egg whites on a whole grain bagel with some low fat cheese
- Yogurt with granola and fruit
- Fill a soft tortilla with egg whites…veggies…dollop of salsa and low fat cheese.
- and of course…a yummy Smoothie!!!
Eating breakfast is a great way to get your metabolism going. Breakfast warms up your metabolism so it’s ready to work throughout the day. When you don’t eat breakfast, your body thinks that it needs to conserve energy because it isn’t getting any nutrition. This actually slows your metabolism down, which causes a decrease in the amount of calories you burn all day long. The complete opposite of what you are trying to achieve. Adding a some lean protein to your breakfast will help keep you feeling full and reduce the chance binge eating before lunch. You don’t always think of eggs and weight loss in the same sentence, but they are a great source of protein.
Breakfast also helps prevent that grumpy, hungry feeling early in the day. When lunch time rolls around, you’re more likely to choose something high in fat and calories to satisfy your food cravings because you’re so ravenous. A healthy meal in the morning can also help to regulate your blood sugar levels which will also help your mood.
For more…follow the link below…