Homemade Granola Bars
I was so tired of spending a small fortune for Granola Bars…either in the supermarket or….oh my…in the office vending machine 🙁
I wanted to incorporate healthy ingredients into my afternoon snack along with a variety of flavors….so on the search I went!
I found several recipes and after trying and tweaking these are what I’ve been making. 🙂
These granola bars couldn’t be easier to make and the basic recipe is like a blank canvas for you to add your favorite ingredients to!
I used a 9 x 13 pan lined with parchment since I wanted a bar that wasn’t too thick. You can use a pan that suits your preference. A smaller pan will give you thicker bars…a bigger pan will give you thinner bars. A disposable foil pan works well too. 😉
- 2 1/2 to 3 cups of rolled Oats ( I used Quaker Oats )
- 2/3 to 3/4 cup low fat Peanut Butter
- 2/3 to 3/4 cup Coconut Oil
- 1/2 to 2/3 cup Honey
Optional Ingredients: 1/2 to 1 cup depending on your preference
- Chocolate Chips
- Walnuts or Almonds…chopped
- Unsweetened Coconut Flakes
- Add Coconut Oil…Peanut Butter and Honey into a microwavable glass bowl. If you prefer not to use a microwave…you can use a small saucepan.
- Microwave on HIGH 1 to 2 minutes being careful not to over cook. Once melted…whisk to combine well.
- If you choose to stove top method…cook on medium low heat until melted…remove from heat…whisk to combine.
- Add Oats to a medium bowl.
- I’ve done this 2 ways….I’ve added in all the dry ingredients…tossed to mix well and the added the wet ingredients…or you can add the wet ingredients to the Oats..mix well..let cool slightly then mix in my optional ingredients. The choice is yours. I will tell you …if you are using Chocolate Chips…let the Coconut Oil mixture cool to room temperature or the Chocolate will melt and you’ll have what looks like a bar of chocolate.
- Spoon mixture into your lined pan…place in refrigerator to set….about an hour or so.
- Cut into bars and store in a air tight container in your refrigerator.